The north tansept was built during the 13th century and is typical of the Early English style with its columns of polished Purbeck stone and central wooden vault.
Dominating the whole area is the Five Sisters Window. Glazed with 'grisaille' glass, it the largest of its type to survive anywhere in the world. It was completed around 1250 when coloroud glass was only manufactured abroad and would have been prohibitively expensive to import in such quantities. Each lancet is 16.2 metres high and 1.5 metres wide with the entire window containing over 100,000 pieeces of glass. It has now been dedicated as a memorial to the women who lost their lives in the two world wars.
To your right is an ornate astronomical clock, created by craftsmen at the Royal Greenwich Observatory, which was given to the Minster to commemorate the 18,000 Allied airmen who lost their lives in World War II when flying out of bases in Yorkshire and the north east.
Walk on to the Chapter House
designed and managed
by Salvo Internet