St George's Field
This area of lightly wooded park land has belonged to the citizen's of York since ancient times. Here every citizen enjoyed the right to 'walk, shoot with bow and arrow and to dry linen.'
Although much of the original land was lost during the construction of Tower Street in the nineteenth century this is still a popular picknicking spot for local people during the summer months.
Until 1607 St George's Field was the location of the cucking, or ducking stool used for the punishment of female offenders.
They were strapped in the stool and plunged three times into the river for offences such as using false measures, brewing bad beer or excessive scolding.
We walk across the field to the river bank and take in the view across the water. The large and impressive brick building straight ahead is the Bonding Warehouse, a particularly fine example of commercial archictecture, now converted to a bar and live music venue.